Monday, September 17, 2012

Drawing with Water

After reading "To Draw is to Be Human," I started viewing the act of drawing a little differently. According to the reading, drawing "... is the means by which we can understand and map, decipher, and come to terms with our surroundings as we leave marks, tracks, or shadows to mark our passing."

My new understanding of drawing is that it is the act of changing or manipulating something to show my influence on it. This process can be intricate and invested or simple, yet thoughtful. With something as pure and simple as water, I decided not to over think it and let the water naturally respond to the materials I put it on.

The method for this series of 8 is quite simple. I take a cup of water and pour it on a material and document it's response. Here are my results ...


1. Colored Construction Paper





2. Cotton Dress





3. Bamboo Mats






4. Cardboard




5. Leather



6. Aluminum Foil





7. Coffee Grounds




8. Vegetable Oil









No comments:

Post a Comment